Car Accident Lawyer in Gastonia, NC
Blake is a 30-year-old manager of a retail chain. He is highly active, enjoys spending time with his family, and spends his evenings completing coursework to earn his degree. One day, as Blake is driving home from work, he is struck by a distracted driver and left with a serious back injury that leaves him unable to stand for prolonged periods of time. Not only is he unable to work in the same capacity as he did before, but he is left unsure of how to pay for the medical treatment necessary to recover from his injury.
If you were involved in a motor vehicle collision, there are options available to you to hold the reckless driver accountable and recover compensation for your injuries. As experienced and knowledgeable Gastonia car accident lawyers, we understand how to navigate even the most complex claims. What sets Edwards Injury Law apart from other law firms is our commitment to leadership through service and our unwavering dedication to our clients. Our practice is informed by generations of those who have served their country and their community, and these core values are reflected in every aspect of our work. To learn more about how we can help, consider contacting our office today.
Gaston Car Accident Statistics
With nearly 200,000 registered vehicles on the roadways, car accidents are a common occurrence in Gaston County. According to data from the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles, roughly 6,500 car accidents occur every year. Injuries are sustained in over 40% of these accidents, and the average cost per crash totals nearly $70,000. With so many car accidents happening every year, it is important to understand your rights in the event that you or a loved one is involved in a collision.
Types of Car Accidents & Common Injuries Sustained
While every situation is unique, there are certain types of car accidents and injuries sustained that are more common than others. Some of the most common types of car accidents that occur on Gastonia roadways include the following:
- Rear-end collisions. Often resulting from drivers failing to pay attention to the roads, rear-end collisions are common. Even at low speeds, these collisions can result in serious injuries such as whiplash, spinal injuries, lacerations, and persistent back pain.
- Head-on collisions. These collisions are among the most dangerous types of car accidents. Many times, these head-on collisions happen to due to the recklessness of another driver, driving while impaired, or excessive speeding. The injuries sustained in head-on collisions can oftentimes be severe, including traumatic brain injury, spinal injuries, and even death.
- Side-impact car accidents. These accidents typically occur when a driver fails to yield or stop at an intersection. As the side panels of cars have less mass to absorb the impact of a collision, side-impact collisions can be incredibly serious, causing back injuries, concussion, nerve damage, and other injuries.
- Multi-vehicle accidents. In some situations, several vehicles may be involved in the collision. These accidents can be disastrous and the process of determining fault after multi-vehicle accidents is complex. Fortunately, our team of experienced Gastonia car accident lawyers understand how to navigate these complicated claims and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses.
Regardless of the type of car accident you were involved in, sustaining injuries due to a car accident can be overwhelming. If you sustained injuries as a result of another driver’s recklessness, you may be entitled to personal injury compensation.
I Was in a Car Accident. What Are My Next Steps?
For many Gastonia residents, being involved in an accident is a life-changing event. Dealing with physical injuries, emotional trauma, and the inability to return to work and earn an income is difficult. Understandably, this can leave many people reeling and unsure of how to regain a sense of normalcy in their lives.
If you were involved in an accident, it is important that you seek medical attention for your injuries as soon as possible. Your health is your greatest asset, providing you with the strength and energy to recover after an accident. Be sure to collect all medical records related to your injuries and treatment, as this information will become necessary later on during the claims process.
While it will become necessary to involve your insurance provider after an accident, it is important to remember that you should not make a statement without your Gastonia car accident lawyer. Insurance providers may try to minimize your injuries and losses to reduce the amount of compensation offered for your claim. Without first consulting your car accident lawyer, you may unintentionally harm your case and impact your settlement.
Determining Fault in North Carolina Car Accidents
State fault laws will greatly influence how a car accident claim is handled. North Carolina is one of the few states that uses a contributory negligence system to determine fault. Based on this system, if you shared any fault for the collision, you may not be able to recover damages. For example, you are driving down a major roadway when another driver unexpectedly pulls out in front of you, causing you to collide with their vehicle. During the investigation into the accident, it has been determined that you were driving ten miles over the speed limit at the time of the collision.
In this situation, while the other driver was mostly at fault for the accident, you were also partially liable. Therefore, you will not be able to recover damages for your injuries and losses. This is why seeking assistance from a knowledgeable car accident lawyer is important – your attorney will work with you to craft a legal strategy to ensure that you are not held liable for any part of the collision.
How to Choose the Best Gastonia Car Accident Lawyer for Me
Choosing a car accident lawyer to represent your claim is an important decision that will strongly influence the outcome of your case. For this reason, it is essential to select an attorney who will take the time to understand your needs and work with you at every step of the process to secure full and fair compensation for your injuries. The right car accident lawyer for you will see you as more than a case number, they will see you as a person with goals and priorities. They will see you as a unique individual with loved ones who depend on you.
To choose the best attorney for you, consider scheduling consultations with potential law firms to evaluate whether their practice aligns with your needs and goals. Many attorneys offer free consultations to discuss your situation in greater detail. During this consultation, it can be helpful to consider the following:
- How much experience does the attorney have?
- What sets their law firm apart from others?
- Do they have a demonstrated record of success in handling car accident claims?
- How will the attorney communicate with you? Do they utilize technology to handle any aspects of their cases?
- Do the law firm’s core values align with your needs?
- What type of fee structure does the attorney use? Do they require upfront payment or work on a contingency fee basis?
How Edwards Injury Law Will Help
Experiencing a car accident can alter your life drastically. With medical bills piling up and loved ones to care for, you may be left feeling overwhelmed and overextended. It is important to know that you are not alone. At Edwards Injury Law, we have dedicated our practice to helping victims of car accidents recover from the traumatic event and regain control of their health, finances, and priorities. As a veteran-owned law firm with a history of service, we are built for today’s challenge. To speak with an experienced Gastonia car accident lawyer about your case, consider contacting us today.