Personal Injury Lawyer in Gastonia, NC
Casey is a hard-working professional who dreams of owning her own business to support her family and loved ones. One day, as Casey is commuting from her place of employment, a drunk driver speeds through a stop sign and hits her, leaving Casey with spine injuries that prevent her from standing at work and completing daily activities. Her life has been changed in the blink of an eye, and she is not sure where to turn for help.
As a premier law firm serving Gastonia residents, Edwards Injury Law is committed to helping individuals and their families recover after being injured in an accident. Through our compassion and dedication, we can help you secure the financial resources necessary to regain control of your life and manage your injury. To learn more about how our team of experienced Gastonia personal injury lawyers can help, consider contacting us today.
What Is the First Step After Being Injured in an Accident?
Experiencing an accident can be life-changing, and many people are left wondering where to turn for assistance after sustaining an injury. Nothing is more important than your safety and well-being, and every part of your life relies on you being in good health. For this reason, you should seek help from medical professionals and/or law enforcement immediately after being injured in an accident. Be sure that all of your injuries are evaluated and treated. Furthermore, if necessary, ensure that a police report has been filed. These protective measures are key to your well-being after an accident and will become important during the claims process.
Personal Injury Claims
While accidents are a part of life, if the incident occurred due to the negligence of another person, it can be assumed that any resulting injuries were preventable. Holding the negligent party responsible for their actions is important, and this is what motivates our practice. The knowledgeable Gastonia personal injury lawyers at Edwards Injury Law have experience navigating a diverse range of claims, including the following:
- Car Accidents. One of the most common claims we handle is related to car accidents, where victims can sustain serious injuries of the head, back, spine, and other vital body parts. Experiencing a car accident-related injury can alter your life drastically, leaving you unable to live and work as you did before. We work with car accident victims to secure the financial compensation necessary to recover after an accident.
- Semi-Truck Accidents. Sharing driving space with large tractor-trailers is a common experience on North Carolina roadways, and collisions happen. Semi-truck accident claims require knowledge and a focused legal strategy to reach a favorable outcome. Our team has the experience necessary to navigate these complex cases.
- Drunk Driving Accident Victims. With over 12,000 drunk driving accidents in 2021 alone (North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles), driving while intoxicated poses a major risk to all motorists on North Carolina roadways. If you or a loved one was the victim of a drunk driving accident, there are options available to you to help hold the motorist accountable and recover damages associated with the incident.
- Uber & Lyft Accidents. When you use a rideshare platform such as Uber or Lyft, you are placing your safety into the hands of a stranger. Accidents happen every day, and securing compensation from these major companies following an incident can be perilous. Oftentimes, these companies will attempt to dismiss your claim or offer the lowest possible settlement amount for your injuries. Our knowledgeable Gastonia personal injury lawyers understand how to negotiate with both the driver’s and the rideshare company’s insurance provider to secure the greatest possible compensation package for your claim.
- Wrongful Death. Losing someone you love is never easy, especially if the death was sudden and unexpected. The loss can feel personally, emotionally, and even financially overwhelming. If you suspect that your loved one died due to the negligence or recklessness of another person, there may be legal recourse available to you and your family. We handle wrongful death claims skillfully and compassionately, ensuring that your family holds the other party accountable and receives the compensation you deserve.
- Premises Liability / Slip and Fall Accidents. The owners of the property have a legal obligation to keep their property safe and hazard-free and make all potential dangers known to their clientele. If they do not uphold this responsibility, accidents can happen. Even a simple slip and fall can leave a person critically injured. For this reason, a major part of our practice includes handling premises liability cases, holding property owners accountable for their negligence.
- Negligent Security. Related to premises liability cases, negligent security claims arise when a property owner fails to ensure the safety of their premises and guests. This can occur due to a lack of sufficient lighting, failure to maintain gates or fences, neglect to hire security personnel or other circumstances. These claims are complex and difficult to handle, but our team of attorneys has the experience necessary to help secure compensation for injuries related to negligent security issues.
- Other claims include bicycle & motorcycle accidents, bus accidents, pedestrian injuries, and more.
How Does the Claims Process Work?
While many people are aware that it is possible to take legal action to recover monetary compensation following an accident, it is not always clear how to go about starting this process. While filing a claim can be complex, there are key steps that make up the process.
First and foremost, it is necessary to seek medical assistance for your injuries. This can take the form of consulting a doctor at a medical facility, speaking with a police officer, or even contacting your local fire department for help. It is important to keep records of all medical treatment you receive or correspondence with police or other public agencies that have helped with your situation.
After your health and safety has been ensured, you may begin the process of initiating a personal injury claim with your insurance company as well as the insurance company of the other person involved in the accident. Your Gastonia personal injury lawyer can help you with this aspect of the process. If the claim can be settled outside of court, this may be ideal. If the insurance companies do not offer a fair settlement package, however, the claim can be taken to court. In this case, your attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf and the case will be decided in a trial.
It is important to note that based on North Carolina law, there are time limits imposed on the claims process. For most personal injury cases, victims have three years from the date of the accident to file a claim (North Carolina Statutes (North Carolina Statutes § 1-52). For wrongful death cases, on the other hand, the loved ones of the deceased have two years to file a claim (North Carolina Statutes § 143-299).
How Edwards Injury Law Will Help
Once your health and safety has been secured after an accident, you may begin wondering about next steps. How can you be empowered to once again prioritize your health, family, education, or career following an accident? Are there legal remedies available to help you accomplish your goals? If these questions resonate with you, you are certainly not alone.
Many of our clients come to us with fear and anxieties surrounding their situation. Our team of Gastonia personal injury lawyers can help you regain control of your circumstances following an accident and uphold your dignity at every step of the way. Your goals are our goals, and we focus on solving problems, not complicating them. To begin your free consultation with us today, consider contacting our office today.